Clipperton Island Introduction - 2002
SOURCE: 2002 CIA WORLD FACTBOOK
This isolated island was named for John CLIPPERTON, a pirate who made it his hideout early in the 18th century. Annexed by France in 1855, it was seized by Mexico in 1897. Arbitration eventually awarded the island to France, which took possession in 1935.
NOTE: The information regarding Clipperton Island on this page is re-published from the 2002 World Fact Book of the United States Central Intelligence Agency. No claims are made regarding the accuracy of Clipperton Island Introduction 2002 information contained here. All suggestions for corrections of any errors about Clipperton Island Introduction 2002 should be addressed to the CIA.