Howland Island Introduction - 2002
SOURCE: 2002 CIA WORLD FACTBOOK
Discovered by the US early in the 19th century, the island was officially claimed by the US in 1857. Both US and British companies mined for guano until about 1890. Earhart Light is a day beacon near the middle of the west coast that was partially destroyed during World War II, but has since been rebuilt; it is named in memory of the famed aviatrix Amelia EARHART. The island is administered by the US Department of the Interior as a National Wildlife Refuge.
NOTE: The information regarding Howland Island on this page is re-published from the 2002 World Fact Book of the United States Central Intelligence Agency. No claims are made regarding the accuracy of Howland Island Introduction 2002 information contained here. All suggestions for corrections of any errors about Howland Island Introduction 2002 should be addressed to the CIA.