Johnston Atoll Introduction - 2002
SOURCE: 2002 CIA WORLD FACTBOOK
Both the US and the Kingdom of Hawaii annexed Johnston Atoll in 1858, but it was the US that mined the guano deposits until the late 1880s. The US Navy took over the atoll in 1934, and subsequently the US Air Force assumed control in 1948. The site was used for high altitude nuclear tests in the 1950s and 1960s, and until late in 2000 the atoll was maintained as a storage and disposal site for chemical weapons. Munitions destruction is now complete. Cleanup and closure of the facility is progressing, with completion anticipated in 2004.
NOTE: The information regarding Johnston Atoll on this page is re-published from the 2002 World Fact Book of the United States Central Intelligence Agency. No claims are made regarding the accuracy of Johnston Atoll Introduction 2002 information contained here. All suggestions for corrections of any errors about Johnston Atoll Introduction 2002 should be addressed to the CIA.