Midway Islands Introduction - 2002
SOURCE: 2002 CIA WORLD FACTBOOK
The US took formal possession of the islands in 1867. The laying of the trans-Pacific cable, which passed through the islands, brought the first residents in 1903. Between 1935 and 1947, Midway was used as a refueling stop for trans-Pacific flights. The US naval victory over a Japanese fleet off Midway in 1942 was one of the turning points of World War II. The islands continued to serve as a naval station until closed in 1993. Today the islands are a national wildlife refuge. From 1996 to 2001 the refuge was open to the public. It is now temporarily closed.
NOTE: The information regarding Midway Islands on this page is re-published from the 2002 World Fact Book of the United States Central Intelligence Agency. No claims are made regarding the accuracy of Midway Islands Introduction 2002 information contained here. All suggestions for corrections of any errors about Midway Islands Introduction 2002 should be addressed to the CIA.